Hirschgarten – deer garden – is one of the gardens belonging to the "Landgraves' Garden Landscape in Bad Homburg" that has been largely preserved, and is a popular destination for walkers, hikers, and cyclists, but also for motorists. It can trace its history back to Landgrave Friedrich II with the silver leg, who used the area as far back as the end of the 17th century as his hunting grounds. Hirschgarten got its actual design, however, from Landgrave Friedrich VI Joseph in 1822.

When the Blanc brothers – who founded the Homburg casino – rented the garden, they set up the first inn for guests in 1858 in the Pürschhäuschen. The former hunting grounds of the nobles who made up court society evolved into a pure wild animal park and became a popular destination for residents and spa guests of the town. The Hirschgarten was sized down as a result,  and now measures just one-fifth of its original size.

In the mid-1960s, the Pürschhäuschen was replaced by the restaurant building that exists to this day and which was elaborately refurbished in 2000. In its elevated location, it offers a wonderful view over the compound that is home to tame fallow deer. Both snacks and tasty specialties are served both in the restaurant and on the large terrace. There is also a minigolf course on the grounds.