Russian Church

The influx of Russian spa guests increased consistently towards the end of the 19th century. Lesser and higher nobles, and members of the Czar families traveled to Homburg to cure their afflictions, to recuperate, and to join in the social whirl. They only complained about one thing: The lack of their own church for their orthodox religion.

Russian privy councilor Alexander Provoroff took up the challenge. Known in Homburg as the "Rose Cavalier" the gallant and friendly gentleman always stepped out holding a bunch of roses, and would present individual blooms to the ladies he met on the way.

Provoroff convinced the mayor of Homburg to designate a piece of land on the edge of the Kurpark for the church, then sorted out the financing in St. Petersburg, and commissioned the famous architect Louis Benois, who was in the Czar's services and who also designed the Russian Church in Darmstadt. The magnificent ceremony to lay the foundation stone in October 1896 was attended, not only by Benois, but also by the Czar and his wife, who happened to be in Darmstadt at the time, and by the Empress Friedrich from Kronberg. Shielded beneath a canopy, Czar Nicholas II laid the foundation stone himself.

All Hallows Church was consecrated three years later. It was closed between 1914 and 1945, but has since once again become the religious center for the Russian Orthodox congregation in Bad Homburg and the surrounding region.