Thai-Sala in the Park and Thai-Sala at the spring

Bad Homburg is the only place in the entire world - with the exception of Thailand itself - to boast two Thai-Salas in one town. The two brightly golden pavilions with their rich adornments are havens of tranquility and contemplation in the Kurpark, and evidence of the close bond that has existed between Thailand and Bad Homburg for more than 100 years. Their origins date back to 1907 when King Chulalongkorn of Siam came to the spa town to cure an illness. Out of gratitude, he gifted a temple to the town, which was made in Bangkok, dismantled, and shipped over in individual parts. The building arrived in Homburg at the end of 1910. Some parts had, however, gone missing and two-thirds of the glazed roofing tiles had broken. As a result of the delay, it was not until May 22, 1914 that the "Siamese Temple" as it was then known was inaugurated in the presence of Prince Mahidol of Siam. King Chulalongkorn had meanwhile died, in 1910.

In commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the King's stay, the Thai Royal Family decided to make a further visible gesture to demonstrate the bond: In 2007, King Bhumibol and Queen Sirikit gifted the second Thai-Sala to Bad Homburg. They only had one request: That the Sala be built at the Chulalongkorn spring, which is where the Monarch had originally intended his initial gift to be located. Back then, Bad Homburg had opted for the more prominent site in one of Lennè's visual axes ("Blickachsen"), but it fulfilled the request this time. Since then, the mineral spring that was discovered in 1907 and inaugurated by King Chulalongkorn himself has been adorned by the "Thai-Sala an der Quelle".

Members of the Thai Royal Family were frequent visitors to Bad Homburg. Every year, many Thai nationals living in Germany congregate at the Salas to celebrate the anniversary of the death of the Siamese Sovereign Chulalongkorn, who is revered to this day. In addition, Kur- und Kongress-GmbH organizes a two-day Thai Festival each year in summer on the site surrounding the "Thai-Sala im Park".