English Church

The sacred atmosphere adds a very special touch to concerts, readings, cabaret performances, and exhibitions, which is why the English Church, which was secularized in 1914, is so immensely popular with both visitors and performers alike. The center of culture serves as the Kleines Haus - the small venue - in Bad Homburg, and mainly stages cabaret performances.

The English Church was built at the request of the numerous spa guests from the British island. They loved coming to take the waters in Homburg v. d. Höhe during the season, especially since the Prince of Wales, who was later to become King Edward VII, was a regular visitor to the spa town. In order to fulfill their request for their own church, Landgrave Ferdinand donated the land from the estate of the deceased "English Landgrave" Elizabeth. Christian Holler started building the church in 1861, and it was consecrated on September 2, 1868 by the Lord Bishop of London. From 1914 onwards, the building served as a museum of local history and a town concert hall before being refurbished and converted into a cultural center in 1990.

For information about events taking place in the English Church, please contact the Culture & Education department of the town council (Magistrat, Fachbereich Kultur & Bildung) at Tel. +49 (0)6172 100-4114, E-mail: , or Tourist Info + Service in the Kurhaus at Tel. +49 (0)6172 178-3710.

Kulturzentrum Englische KircheKulturzentrum Englische Kirche
Ferdinandsplatz
61348 Bad Homburg v. d. Höhe
Tel.: +49 (6172) 100-4114

Map