Gothic House

Gothic House is a wonderful symbiosis of history and modern cultural life. The building dates back to the first half of the 19th century and is home to a museum, the town archives of Bad Homburg, and a café.

The museum offers an interesting look at the history of the town and Landgraviate. The hat museum traces the cultural history of headwear - with, of course, the legendary Homburg hat as its focal point - and is the only one of its kind in Germany. A further section is devoted to the medals and coins that were used on Homburg territory.
Alternating special exhibitions focusing on specific themes open up whole new perspectives on the collection each time. The accompanying events are frequently designed for children and teenagers, in particular, to arouse their interest in history and museums. The charming Gartensaal is the venue for events such as readings, lectures and concerts.

The town archives - the "town's memory" - safeguard valuable historic books, documents, photos and drawings. Visitors are always welcome. The archives can be examined free of charge in the reading room on the 1st floor.

The Café in Gothic House offers refreshments during the opening hours of the museum to recharge the batteries after visiting the museum or town archives, or after strolling through the Landgraves' Gardens, of which Gothic House forms a part.
Gothic House was built as a hunting lodge between 1823 and 1828 during the reign of Landgrave Friedrich VI Joseph and his wife, Elizabeth, a member of the English Royal Family.  It was never actually used as such, however, since the Landgraves lost interest in the building following a serious accident during construction. Its unusual architecture combines Tudor Gothic and neo-Classical styles. Following the demise of the house of Hessen-Homburg in 1866, Gothic House changed owners several times, was architecturally modified, and used for various different purposes.

Museum im Gotischen Haus
Magistrat der Stadt Bad Homburg v. d. Höhe
Tannenwaldweg 102
61350 Bad Homburg v. d. Höhe
Tel.: +49 (6172) 37618
Fax: +49 (6172) 937216
Opening hours
Dienstag bis Samstag 14 - 17 Uhr
Sonn- und Feiertag 10 - 18 Uhr
Montag geschlossen
Karfreitag, Heiligabend und 1. Weihnachtsfeiertag (24. und 25. Dezember), Silvester (31. Dez.) und Neujahr (1. Jan.) geschlossen.
Ostersonntag und –Montag 12 - 18 Uhr geöffnet.
Map